Hands soaps can have harmful and unnecessary ingredients, preservatives and synthetic fragrances that can irritate your skin, have a negative impact on your brain and central nervous system and have even been linked to lung toxicity. Try this simple recipe, and you will never want to buy hand wash from the supermarket again!
Makes: 200 ml | Prep time: < 5 min.
- 2 Tablespoons liquid Castile Soap
- 15-20 drops of essential oils
- 2 teaspoons fractionated coconut oil
- 135g water
What are the best essential oils for hand soap?
The best essential oils for hand soap is really based on what smells you like. The best part of making this DIY essential oil project is having fun mixing and blending oils for your own unique blend.
The most important part is choosing high-quality pure essential oils so you know you are getting a pure product.
I like to make one bottle at a time, and just refill as needed. I can then change the blends I use depending on the time of year, who is going to be using the soap and the essential oils I have on hand. I highly recommend using doTERRA’s On Guard during winter or when someone in the house is unwell for it’s immune boosting properties.
- Add Castile soap, coconut oil and essential oils directly into your soap dispenser (a foaming pump bottle must be used for this recipe) and mix until combined.
- Wait a few minutes (this gives the essential oils time to disperse within the Castile soap), slowly add water making sure to leave room for the foaming pump.
- Add lid, shake, and you are good to go!
- Add 1/2 – 1 teaspoon of Vitamin E Oil if you have dry skin. I use Dr Woods Castile Soap with added Shea Butter for it’s moisturising and healing properties.
- Water should be distilled, purified or pre-boiled and cooled to extend shelf life.
- Be aware that citrus oils are best avoided prior to sun exposure as they increase the skin’s photo sensitivity.
- Foaming pump bottles can be found HERE. Make sure to only use glass or PET Amber bottles. Plastic containers can destroy the efficacy of essential oils and also cause leakage.
Like this recipe? Want to learn more about including essential oils in your life? Click HERE to rid your home and body of toxic chemicals.