4000 YEARS of MEDICINE
- 2000 BC : Here, eat this root.
- 1000 AD : That root is heathen! Here, say this prayer.
- 1865 AD : That prayer is superstition! Here, drink this potion.
- 1935 AD : That potion is snake oil! Here, swallow this pill.
- 1975 AD : That pill is ineffective! Here take this antibiotic.
- 2000 AD : That antibiotic is poison! Here, eat this root.
I saw this recently and it really resonated with me. We truly have come full circle. Food is medicine and this recipe is medicine in a bowl… and absolutely delicious!
First, cook up your chicken broth – boil up a whole chicken, a couple of carrots and onions, garlic, ginger and half a bunch of celery and let it simmer for a 2-3 hours.
Coconut Lemon Chicken Soup
- 5cm fresh ginger
- 3cm fresh turmeric
- 5 cloves garlic
- a handful of fresh coriander
- 3 spring onions
- a few shakes of chilli flakes
- 1.2 litres of home made chicken broth
- 400g coconut cream
- 30-50g fresh lemon juice (1-2 lemons) I use 2 lemons for extra zing
- 1 – 2 bunches of pak choy or bok choy (I chop them up so my fussy kids eat them)
- sea salt to taste
- 200-300g cooked chicken, leftover from making broth. Pull apart with fork.
- Put ginger, turmeric, garlic, coriander, spring onions and chilli in food processor and blitz for a few seconds so they are chopped finely.
- Place half of the mixture into a large saucepan, add broth, and simmer for 10 mins.
- Add remaining ingredients except chicken, and simmer another 10 mins.
- Add cooked chicken and simmer until warmed through.
- Add remaining minced herbs, garlic, ginger, turmeric mixture, and stir through.
- Dish it up and enjoy!
Adapted from Quirky Cooking